Welcome!

"We have very little control over what happens in our lives, but we have a lot of control over how we integrate and remember what happens. It is precisely these spiritual choices that determine whether we live our lives with dignity." --Henri Nouwen

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Mom in the Hospital

Paul McCartney says life is what happens after you’ve made all your plans. He's right, and here's a case in point: Mom' been in the hospital for several days with pneumonia and won’t return home for several more. Not what any of us had planned for Christmas. Life happens.

Beside the physical pain, exhaustion, and worry, are there any redeeming lessons here? Some wisdom about the shoals we mortals must navigate, or perhaps an insight into aging and mortality?

Well, don't ask me. I’m too busy delivering burgers and pizzas to offset the hospital's dry chicken, listless veggies, and soggy toast; chasing down an array of doctors, nurses, and social workers; burning the midnight oil to meet a deadline for my job; shuttling home to San Francisco to get ready for Santa, then back to Seattle for more conversations with the medical staff; and then equipping mom’s condo for her return home.

Years from now, long after mom has regained her stride, I know this moment will display its wonderful gems. But for now, all I can tell you is this: We ramble along our paths, struggle through our ailments with sheer grit (our own and that of those who love us), make new plans, then continue the journey.

So I'll save the profound questions for later, and simply do my best to help her back on her feet--and, of course, to savor this gracious season with my husband, our son, and my mom.

No comments: