Welcome!

"We have very little control over what happens in our lives, but we have a lot of control over how we integrate and remember what happens. It is precisely these spiritual choices that determine whether we live our lives with dignity." --Henri Nouwen

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Update on Casa Quivira--November 17

The children have been returned to Casa Quivira, and their adoptions will now move forward. It looks like normalcy is returning to this beleaguered orphanage after the government put the 42 kids through a horrific and unnecessary ordeal. See the Guatemalan Adoption blog which reports "that while everything is not cleared up for all the cases, it does look like at last innocent children are not going to be caught in the middle of the politics and tensions that exist in Guatemalan adoptions and that they will achieve permanency in a loving, family environment."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just wanted to thank you for your comments about the Mother Jones article, albeit belatedly. I'm the gay dad of a Guatemalan child, and I must say, it has just not occurred to me to consider myself evil for adopting. You do your research, you accept that there are moral ambiguities everywhere, and you do your best. I would rather concentrate on raising a wonderful boy here and now than on the what-ifs. Perhaps having a partner from SE Asia, where adoption is so much more casual and commonplace (I have too many girls in my family, would you as an uncle like to raise one) has given me a different perspective on the issue. I don't consider this ex-post-factor breastbeating at all helpful, but more a peculiarly American determination to prove one's own moral worth.